October 1st, 2019
The Hairst issue of the society magazine Coontin Kin is now available, it’s now full colour throughout as we continue to develop and improve the publication. Issue no.112 has a wide range of interesting new material.
June 2nd, 2019
Annual balance sheet published
What are the benefits of Membership?
Becoming a member gives you the opportunity to mix and correspond with people who have similar interests and, when in Shetland, to use the facilities of our premises at 6 Hillhead, Lerwick.
At the Hillhead you will find a wealth of unpublished data collected and donated by members. This may be in manuscript, typescript or electronic format. The Society also holds microfilm copies of all Shetland Old Parish Registers and the Statutory Censuses of 1841 — 1901 inclusive, together with microfiche of the International Genealogical Index (the I.G.I.) for Shetland and selected other areas to which Shetland people migrated. There is also a small library through which you may like to browse.
Research help is available to members who live outwith the islands but it is dependent upon the goodwill and willingness of our local volunteers.
Membership entitles you to receive, four times a year, our journal Coontin Kin which contains articles and sometimes research results which may be of help to other members.
How do I become a Member and what does it cost?
You can purchase a membership online or, if you prefer, you can download a membership form below and post along with a cheque.
The annual membership subscription covers the calendar year from 1st January to 31st December. Membership costs are as follows:
|Category||Type of Membership||Annual Subscription|
|United Kingdom Residents|
|1||Ordinary (one person)||£15.00|
|2||Family (spouse/partner and children under 18)||£20.00|
|3||Senior Citizen (single or couple, male / female age 60 or over) &
Students (under 18)
|6||Europe (Airmail only)||£18.00|
- The Membership rates above apply to anyone joining between 1st January and 30th September.
- When Membership commences after 30th September the payment will cover the remainder of that year and the whole of the following year.
- If for any reason membership is discontinued no refunds will be given.
- If you wish to make future payments by Standing Order please indicate this on the application form.
- Individuals may have their payments accepted as having been made under the "Gift Aid" scheme. (Note this does not apply to family memberships). If you wish this to apply please complete the Gift Aid declaration form. Link to (Gift Aid Form as web page or Gift Aid Form in PDF format).
- Shetland Family History Society is a Charity registered in Scotland No. SC020018.
To join the Shetland Family History Society print out the appropriate membership form, (the links below give the form both as a web page and in PDF format), complete it and return it with your payment to the Membership Secretary at the address below:
Cheques/PO should be made payable to Shetland Family History Society.