April 25th, 2017
Following on from the highly successful projects last year the Society has two projects simmering away now for launch during the year.
March 23rd, 2017
The latest edition of the society magazine Coontin Kin is now available and is full of interesting material.
Binders for All Books
Coontin Kin - Back Issues
Memorials & Dedications (M&D)
Monumental Inscription (MI) Books
Available From The Society
The Society has now fully transcribed & indexed the Census returns for these years:
- 1841 Census for the Shetland Islands & 1785 Census for Tingwall Parish
- 1851 & 1861 Census for the Shetland Islands
- 1871 & 1881 Census for the Shetland Islands
- 1891 & 1901 Census for the Shetland Islands
They have now been published on a fully searchable CDs. These are available from the Society at the address below at a cost in U.K. Pounds (inclusive of Postage & Packing) of:
Monumental Inscription & Dedication Booklets
The Society has undertaken the task of recording and publishing all Monumental Inscriptions and Dedication Plaques within Shetland. Booklets have now been produced and are available as follows:
- North and South Nesting
- Whalsay and Skerries
- Whiteness and Weisdale
- Dunrossness(South) & Fair Isle
- Dunrossness (North), Levenwick & Ireland
- Quarff & Gulberwick
- Lerwick 1 (Knab Road, Queens Lane & Sound)
- Lerwick 2 (New Cemetery - Lower Section - Town Side)
- Lerwick 3 (New Cemetery - Lower Section - Knab Side)
- Lerwick 4 (New Cemetery - Upper Section - Town Side)
- Lerwick 5 (New Cemetery - Upper Section - Knab Side)
- Walls (including Vaila & Foula)
- Sandness (including Papa Stour)
- North Yell & Fetlar
- Mid & South Yell
- From Printed Sources & Early Transcriptions
- Dedications (1) (General: Unst to Bressay)
- Dedications (2) (General: Lerwick to Fair Isle)
- Dedications (3) (War Memorials) [Note: these are memorials in addition to those in Burial Grounds which were included in the booklets 1 - 27]
|Cost per booklet including P&P||United |
The cost is in U.K. Pounds and includes Postage and Packing.
|Shetland Surnames by Dr. Alan M. Beattie (2nd Edition) (New edition fully updated & revised)||£6.40||£8.40||£8.90||£10.90||£7.30||£9.30|
|Shetland Pre-1855 Parish Sources for Family Historians by Dr. Alan M. Beattie (3rd Edition)||£4.90||£5.90||£7.40||£8.40||£5.80||£6.80|
|Back numbers of our journal "Coontin Kin" (Nos. 1 - 32 available)||£3.40||£4.40||£5.90||£6.90||£4.30||£5.30|
Please note that the title of the cover illustration for Issue 41 of "Coontin Kin" is incorrect. It should read:"Merry Dancers, Mucklepund, Norwick, Unst"
Binders suitable for all the above are available. They will hold approx. 12 MI booklets(depending on the number of pages)or 18 copies of Coontin Kin.
The cost is in U.K. Pounds and includes postage and packing:
|United Kingdom||Overseas Airmail||Overseas Surfacemail|
You can buy directly from the website. Alternatively, you can can also send your order to:
Shetland Family History Society
6 Hillhead, Lerwick
Cheques should be made payable to Shetland Family History Society.
Members should quote their membership number.
Payment, where possible, should be made in U.K. pounds. If you are unable to send U.K. pounds please ensure you have converted the prices at the current exchange rate.
Postal orders are an acceptable means of payment.